Saturday, August 21, 2010

Moss Beach Improvements/Acquisitions!

Improvement!!



The following agencies have constructed the "stairway to the sea" at the south end of the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve!  The stairway leads down to a great beach, lots of sand, and waves.  The problem was that it was very difficult to get to!  We used to be able to walk down the beach to it from the Reserve, but a few years ago a "club" of harbor seals decided to make the beach just south of the reserve their home, which made it off limits to us humans.  Now everyone can enjoy the beach!  Great improvement!!

The organizations that funded this project


At the top - looking down!  You can see that there is a look-out point to the right of the first set of stairs.

And down some more!!  95 steps down, to be exact!

Lee, coming down the stairs.  You can see that it was a gray, cool day!

And back up!  The 95 steps down and up provide a mini work-out!



Improvement!!


In our quest for additional storage space, we decided that the tall cabinet by the stove was being under utilized.  We remedied that by relocating the ironing board, and Lee added two shelves for additional storage.  I painted the inside of the cabinet, and put contact-paper on the shelves, and then we were ready to reorganize!  We love it!


Acquisition!!

As you know, I have not had very good luck with bicycle riding - having had zero successful bike rides in the previous two attempts.  To say that I'm leery of bikes would be an understatement - they just don't like me!  However, I decided that I just didn't have the RIGHT bike!  I stopped short of an adult tricycle, but I got this great Schwinn "cruiser" style bike - NO gears, high handle bars, comfortable (relatively!) seat, and most important - the "step-through" feature.  In other words, a "girls bike".  And, it's PINK!  We've been on two bike rides now and I haven't crashed!  My confidence is building (slowly) and we are enjoying biking the Coastside Trail.  In time I might even be confident enough to get out on the road....  hey - it could happen!

On the Coastside trail

How could you not love this bike?

I enjoyed our ride more today - I didn't feel like I was going to die at any minute!  And I know that it's just going to get better and better!

Lee is a pro on his bike!  This is a great shot of him next to a stand of "naked ladies" on the Coastside trail

Acquisition and Improvement!!

We got a dishwasher!!  There's now something here  besides us that washes dishes!!  It's a portable, full sized dishwasher, and fits quite nicely next to the cabinet.  The top of it is very similar to our counter tops, too.  It's great to not have the dish drainer out all the time.  We actually have more counter space now!  Our table that has occupied that space for 13 years has found a new home, courtesy of Freecycle!  The dishwasher ran it's first cycle last night (two days worth of dishes), did a great job and is really quiet!!  I'm THRILLED!!

Our new toy!!


6 comments:

Nathan said...

Well that bike is indeed totally awesome. It has the perfect combination of grandma and California put into it. I can hardly to try out those 95 stairs myself and I think that the only thing that the dishwasher lacks is a BIG San Jose Sharks sticker or 2 or 3 or sometihng along those lines.

Cathi said...

I'm so happy for your new stair-climber workout, your new cupboard, your new dishwasher, and most of all your new bike! It's all sorts of wonderful and I wish you countless hours of enjoyment riding it and not a single injury!
Great post, as usual.
Love,
Cathi

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Great improvements, all, especially the dishwasher. I bet neither of you miss dish duty. :)

Val said...

Wow! That is very cool indeed! Fun things all around good for you guys! You have obviously been quite busy and productive :)

Cathi said...

Grandma, I like your bike. I like the color. I want to go on a bike ride with you.
Love,
Patience

Pat and Lee said...

Well, thank you, Patience! I'm glad you like my pink bike, and it would be so much fun to go for a bike ride together!
I love you!

Grandma