Monday, September 21, 2009

Being Cathi...

On the 26th of August, I flew up to Seattle to meet Val and Cathi. We spent the night in Seattle, and then on Thursday morning, Cathi caught an early morning flight to Virginia, to attend Nathan's graduation from the Coast Guard's "A" school, and drive back across country with him.

We had a great time in Seattle, and went to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory! None of us had eaten there, and it is very good! Of course, we had to have cheesecake for dessert, and after much discussion, we decided on the Kahlua cheesecake! Fortunately, the three of us shared on piece, and we highly recommend it!

Val and I drove Cathi's car back to Bellingham, and I dropped Val off at work, then I headed to Aldergrove! The girls were waiting for me when I got there, as was Don! He'd been holding down the fort since Cathi had left on Wednesday afternoon. Fortunately, Nick seemed to remember that I was an acceptable adult, and we quickly settled into a nice routine. Now, Cathi's life is much different than mine - I'm used to waking at my leisure, having coffee till about 10:00, a leisurely breakfast - you get the picture! :) But I got the hang of it, and I think that I did a fairly good job of maintaining the routine. At any rate, no one complained!

The boys and Don worked in the trees each day. The kids and I played both inside and out. They have a great pool to swim in, as well as bikes, jungle gym, etc., so we had fun. We took walks to the berry farm across the street, picked blackberries (Jordyn got stung by a bee!), colored, worked puzzles, etc.

Nick continued to take steps, and took 6 steps at one time, while I was there. We heard from Cathi and Nathan, as they made their way across the United States - a very LONG way!

Don, Dylan and Sean were all a great help with the little kids, and we had a great time. Needless to say, we were all happy when Cathi and Nathan rolled into the driveway - road weary, but happy to be home!

Nathan had a week at home to get things in order, before leaving for Narita, Japan, to catch up with his ship. Busy times! It was great that I was able to see him before he left, as we have no idea exactly when he'll be home again, since he's going to be stationed in Cordova, Alaska.

We took a trip to the beach at White Rock. The kids loved it! The water was shallow enough for them to walk out quite a ways. The only slightly worrisome thing was the dead jellyfish that were washing up on the beach - apparently even dead jellyfish can sting!


Nick loved it! Again, would have loved to have been turned loose! After the beach, we all headed off to the ice cream shop for an ice cream cone. The girls had bubble gum ice cream - life is good!


And after the beach - a bubble bath! Happy, clean little girls!

Here's how you keep Nick out of trouble! Put him in the laundry hamper!


Nicholas and big brother, Sean. Sean was just as blonde as a baby.

No comments: