Monday, November 23, 2009

Sea Glass

I know that I keep talking about finding sea glass, and we thought we'd show you some of the glass that we have found. Sea glass started life as some glass object, that somehow ended up in the sea, broke up into lots of pieces, and has been tumbled around in the waves and sand until it gets smooth and polished.

The most common colors of sea glass are brown and green, which clearly started life as a beer bottle! White, which you can't see clearly in the picture are the next more common. We've been finding some light blue glass down at the reserve. Really, really rare is blue glass. Lee has found most of the few blue pieces we have - I think I've found only one or two.

The pieces below were all found at Grey Whale cove in Pacifica. That beach seems to be really good for glass. We were there a few weeks ago and as I watched, the sea delivered a large green piece of glass onto the sand, which I snatched! The glass found there tends to be larger, too. Usually the pieces of glass we find are quite small.

It's great fun to search for and find sea glass, and yes, I'm easily amused! The white glass are "diamonds", the green, "emeralds", the brown are "topaz", and so on!

We find and are able to take sea glass at the Reserve, as glass is considered refuse there! : )

There is some beautiful jewelery made from sea glass, which is something that I may try in the future. In the meantime, it's all about the hunt!

I someday hope to find a piece of red or pink, and a marble! Tumbled, ancient marbles are sometimes found - I think that would be a hoot! So, the next time you're walking on the beach, keep your eyes open for sea glass! : )


3 comments:

Val said...

I think thats a great hobby for someone who lives so close to the beach, it's exercise and instant gratification all at the same time! Hmmm, I wonder what I could hunt for around here?

Cathi said...

Mom, when I saw your picture I immediately thought of a mosaic! You could someday turn your collection into a patio table top, or maybe a trivet?
I love you!
Cathi

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this; I've been most curious about how it looks. Though I don't live too close to the beach, we vacation there from time to time and I'll be looking for sea glass on this side of the pond! :)