Thursday, March 15, 2012

New Zealand Feb 2012

Every year we go to New Zealand during their summer (Dec-Mar) to visit our friends, tour different parts of the country we haven't seen, and attend the Annual General Picnic (AGP) hosted by friends in Auckland which is usually held in February.  However at the anniversary of five year increments, the picnic is celebrated in a foreign country.  This year is the 20th anniversary and the picnic will be held in May in Greece on the island of Crete at Chania at a beach venue.

Since we are planning on going to the picnic in Greece, I thought it would be good to go to NZ for a short visit for a couple of weeks to see all our friends that were not going to Greece for the picnic since we hadn't seen them for a year.  Since it was going to be a short/quick visit and it is a long trip, Pat decided not to go since she would be seeing many of our friends in Greece at the AGP.

As usual, I was flying stand-by on an airline pass but was lucky to get a last minute seat on a Qantas flight from Los Angeles to Auckland.  However being boarded at the last minute, my bag didn't get put on the flight.  It caused a bit of a hassle at the Auckland airport but it came the next day to Hamilton where I was staying with friends and I was able to pick it up at the Hamilton airport thanks to a good friend, John, who took me to the airport to fetch it.

Needless to say I had a wonderful time visiting with everyone.  Although I was there for 16 days the time just flew by and seemed way too short.  It will be good to see some of the friends again in Greece and those that I didn't get to see in NZ that will be at the picnic there.  I was lucky to get a seat on the flight back when I checked in since the flight wasn't full so I didn't have to wait until the last minute to board.  Since the flight wasn't full it was nice to have a bit of room on the aircraft as well.

I want to thank all of my wonderful friends for their hospitality and generosity.  Thank you for providing accommodation, hosting dinners for me, spending time at beach Bach's, lunch gatherings, morning and afternoon teas, "G and T" times, chauffeur service, and the special events we attended.

It is great to have such wonderful friends!

Bryan's wonderful garden outside my bedroom window

On the deck at Peter and Bryan's bach in Raglan

Breakfast alfresco on the deck at Raglan

A walk on ocean beach at Raglan with John, Bryan, Peter, and Richard

My NZ Mum, Zoe, with her adopted sons Lee and Richard, and her son Bryan far right

The guys with the tee shirts I brought them from our trip to Carmel

BBQ dinner hosted by Richard

Zealong's Gordonton Tea Estate outside of Hamilton

Afternoon tea at Zealong's

Lunch with Jo, Geoff, and John who is taking the picture

Ocean view from Mark's bach at Whanarua Bay

The beach at Whanarua Bay

A stop to see Agnus, Stephen's Mum

Dinner with Craig's family - Ann, Craig, and Mark

City view of Auckland and the Sky Tower from the viaduct

The new pedestrian draw bridge at the viaduct

Dinner with friends at the Merchant of Venice in Auckland at the viaduct

Our walk along the waterfront after dinner at the Merchant of Venice

Thank you everyone for a wonderful visit and your warm hospitality.  Can't wait to see everyone again.

No comments: